Sunday, June 7, 2009

Family...the good, the bad and the ugly

No surprise, while at my cousin's funeral in Negaunee, Michigan on Thursday, I met three more cousins I had never known of before. We compared some family notes and contact info. It seems we all are seeking information on one particular Roberts family member - Martha LaBombard, Mic'q Mac'q by birth, though one person's record states that she was a redhead of Scot descent. A photo belies this.

My Aunt Cleo and I are driving to the UP in July and Cleo can meet these newly found relatives, too. They are a delight, with the great gift of laughter. Perhaps we can weave together more of the family fabric. I've promised to find the family tree as my Aunt Merle had written for me, and make copies of Roberts and Pelto families, such as I have. Unfortunately, my youngest sister, on her visits, has quite blatantly felt the freedom to take most of my photos that I had taken while growing up and of my own children when they were young, as well as some family documents. Middle sister/friend of youngest, once told me that said youngest felt that her wealth (married into) entitles her to family 'heirlooms'; also that said youngest feels free to create her own family history. Unfortunately, I've found both to be true. (Will I regret writing this when I awake tomorrow?)

No comments:

Post a Comment