Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A neighborhood convergence









Our Bates/Fourth area Neighborhood Night Out went very well. I had conversations with quite a number of people who have offered no more than a returned 'How are you?' in the past as they've walked by; and an insightful conversation with a young man, Darnell, who had quite a bit to say about how other young Black men should dress and conduct themselves in order to receive the respect they say they want.

I was able to chat with Diane and others who live a block and a half away, who I haven't seen outside in quite a while. A few more kids have started coming to movie night as a result of getting to know them a bit. I love that Ariel is a reader, lover of books, and enjoys art.

Today three young women walked to our 'paint the pavement' mural and I talked with them about it. One had stopped here on NNO and she was explaining how it came to 'appear'. These three young women had just moved in a block and a half down. Now, this moment, I'm thinking of where I might know them. I kept saying how one looked so familiar. I think she's the one I believe is a prostitute who walked by a few days ago and, for several reasons, made an impact on me. I could be wrong. If not, I'll can be a good contact. That's funny.

I was telling them how delightful it is when I see older teens 'dancing' on the mural late at night, or how our kids like to skate on the curves of the mural. Then there is the comparison of the once blank, dirty intersection. The bright colors of the painting fill in the stark grey expanse from corner to corner and proclaim: "people here care", "drive cautiously, children play here", "residents here see what happens and respond".

I love it when a driver pauses on the mural and exclaims a 'wow!' that I can hear from my window. I love seeing the smiles and the questioning looks; or when someone realizes that weird little character on the log is a bear...and some, even, the Hamm's Bear!

Unfortunately, some cars still drive right through the four way stop. It's a step; and people seem to love to step on it, almost in it, as if grass and water....they seem to want to become integrated in the mural...like disappearing into a painting to enjoy the other life....

No comments:

Post a Comment