Sunday, September 15, 2013

SPOKEN THOUGHTS

She spoke in a voice low and wispy, as if to take up no more space than her body already claimed.

‘When I speak, you come!  Immediately!’ so spoke the father.

Speak with clarity and get to the point.

If we don’t speak for the voiceless or the vulnerable, who will?

“I can’t speak for her”, and then he went ahead and did so.

She spoke words of wisdom

With the language of eyes and laughter, two need not speak the same oral language to enjoy each other’s company.

The dead speak their secrets as the family unearths the papers and collections left behind.
The silent, living victims are left in turmoil over the pleasant lies spoken of the dead.

The kids in my neighborhood, having a different awareness than I do about law, gangs, and relationships, often speak in code to me with their eyes and facial expressions: don’t do it; don’t say what you’re thinking; I’m hurting, please defend me.

Speak now, says the Holy Spirit...be bold...speak in faith.

Speak up, I can’t hear you. I speak up and you don’t listen.

Speak truth to power.

Words, music, art, nature, facial and body movements, our environment, rhythm...all speak to us. Are we listening? What do we hear?



sage holben 9/2012 (written for Allison McGhee's Brown Bag Readings







No comments:

Post a Comment