Monday, April 13, 2009

Rock the Metro!!

If anyone who reads this has a Metro LSI, here's a question - does your ignition sometimes lock up so that you can't turn the key to start the car? Does rocking the car to and fro help? This has happened to me a number of times. A friend had said, with great assurance, that if I 'shake' the car I can trick its sensor, which will then allow the key to turn. It works! I don't think it really matters whether it is back and forth or up and down.

After no problem for several months, I've had to rock the car three times in four days. One day late last fall, I was in the Blair Arcade (Common Good Books) parking lot rocking my Metro. Two well dressed young men came near the car and one said he wondered what the car rocking was. I quickly explained the sensor and then asked if they wouldn't mind rocking the car from the front as my efforts weren't making any difference.
They gave it a couple hefty rocks and voila! it started right up. I have found that it's easier to rock the car facing down hill rather than up hill ( I position myself with my left foot on the street to give leverage, and my right hand on the key to keep turning it while rocking).

No comments:

Post a Comment