Friday, April 17, 2009

Senator Mee Moua, fiercely determined!

With two friends tonight, I attended the Asian American dinner at Metropolitan State University. It was poorly attended, possibly because this evening was so warm; how could someone avoid being lured for a walk around the lake or preparing a garden? But, though the room lacked full seating, my senator, Mee Moua filled it with warmth, electricity, fire, and emotion. I never tire of hearing Senator Moua speak.

Tonight, though, her words were filled with a passion and a message that were delivered with an edge that I had not heard before. The theme of the evening was 'Change and Transformation'. Giving her speech a context, she told of the animosity she and her family faced when they first moved to the U.S. - beer bottles and ash tray contents thrown at them, teaching her mother that the middle finger, presented in one's face, is not a friendly greeting. Mee shared her determination to work hard and succeed in life rather than let anger rule her or allow others misuse their power [in ignorance or stupidity].

Too often being identified as 'the Hmong senator' instead of the Senator of Senate District 67, Senator Mee daily, in personal life and in her professional life, is too often the object of another's prejudice or scorn because she is Hmong, Asian, or simply 'differentthan'. "Change alone is not enough." Anyone could philosophize about change and transformation or does change lead to transformation. Mee's message got down to PICK A SIDE! Saying you're 'independent' is not action enough...choose a party, any party. Work for it; work for what you believe in; stand on what you believe in.

Tying into the prejudices she has experienced and continues to experience, Senator Moua indicated she'd rather an openly prejudiced person open his/her baggage in front of her than be the behind the back bigot. Senator Moua urged the rapt audience to accept that people be honest with themselves in that we all possess biases and prejudices. It's part of true human nature; part of what a human being is.

This speech in itself was so refreshing - after all the 'anti-racism' workshops that are offered where people later say they were afraid to share how they feel or what they feel. As one faciliator said about such poorly done workshops, either people leave feeling they have wrenched the power from the other group and feel they have the upper hand, or they feel they have been raked over burning coals and demeaned. And no, it's not always 'black and white' in who identifies with what group. Ultimately, no one leaves with dignity intact. Anti-racism workshops can be so much better....and, I would like to see more workshops on classism, also.

Finally, with Mee's charge, to 'choose a side and not just 'let it happen', she's lifted and encouraged me when I needed it. I went into the dinner event feeling somewhat wiped out and used up. I take to heart the observation that there is always someone who [in position of greater authority or power] wants to wipe out someone else. I find that sometimes it's not wiping me out, but treating me as if I'm invisible or 'less than'. At times I feel as if I want to be one of the people who hides inside and denies or pretends that the drug deals, vandalism and disrespect isn't out on the streets. Though over and over I find that I can't give up, Senator Moua gave me the boost I needed.

Senate District 67 is very fortunate to claim her as our Senator. I am very fortunate to call her a friend. I am deeply grateful that Senator Moua continues with fortitude, dignity, integrity and as the dynamite legislator she is.
sh 4/17/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment