Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bits and pieces

With this blustery snow come the children on their bikes and makeshift sleds, squealing down Fourth Street. I watch, hoping the cars on Bates approach slowly and actually stop.

People seem extra friendly in the challenging cold. I like that.

I came into work on Monday to find a card and a small plastic bag at my desk. A library patron left it for me. He stays at the Gospel Mission. On the Christmas card, with his name, was the message: 'Thanks for being nice to me'. In the bag was a program from a recent Gospel Mission music program and a safety booklet for our library/university, and an assortment of hotel size shampoos, soaps and plastic utensils; all things I can definitely use! This is one of the greatest, heartwarming gifts of the season. Thank you, D_______!

Also, yesterday when I was filling in at the help desk, a woman approached and I smiled at her....the first thing she said was, 'Thank you for smiling'. We can touch people in so many ways...a smile, a greeting...yet some people grip them tightly and selfishly as if smiles and warmth were pieces of gold they were being asked to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment