Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Safe at Office Depot

Another 'Huh?' moment....and I can fully understand the motivation behind the policy, but.....
So here I am, a stout, grey-haired woman. I purchased a large piece of foam core at Office Depot several days ago. It was larger than I needed, but they had nothing smaller. I took it to my Metro and it filled the space from the very rear to inches of the dash. I took it back inside the store (this was after waiting about 15 minutes, at three different registers/clerks because of returns, etc. only one customer at each register) to get it cut down to fit.

I asked the first available clerk if he had an xacto so that I could get this cut. He looked at me as if I had just pulled a gun. He said no, no xacto, so I suggested a box cutter. A long pause before he said they use keys around there to open boxes, and they don't allow customers to have knives in the store. Then another clerk - these were both males - came up and the first explained, asking the second if he had his box cutter. He hesitated quite a while, and said they couldn't take legal responsibility in cutting the foam core; I told them both that I would do it, placing it on the floor, and if I raised the cutter in any way that appeared terroristic, he could stomp on my hand. Only then, with the second man standing over me, was I able to crease the board to fit my car! I guess we are safe at Office Depot!

No comments:

Post a Comment