Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas in NYC

December has been TOO busy. I'll be spending Christmas in NYC, which will be pleasant for many reasons. The main one is that I'll be visiting with Sam. He's awesome. We'll visit with several of his friends, do a lot of walking - some places I've not explored on previous trips. Someone today was asking about where I'd spend Christmas. There is a chance that my older son will come up to the city while I'm there - that would be an extra special gift!

Christmas in New York City is splendid...the snowflakes over the avenues, the snow falling in Fort Tryon Park, the stops in so many coffee shops to stay warm, the art galleries, and visiting Sam's every day places. There is always something new. I've met only friendly, helpful people.

I love the subway rides...they are much more gentle than riding the el in Chicago. My dad and I used to take the el to baseball games and the race tracks. The el seemed to shockingly invade the lives of the people in apartments we'd rattle past. The subway, for the most part, keeps a more polite tone, concentrating on the life inside the car.

Shadows, reflections, buildings within buildings in Midtown...the hills and green space in Inwood...the street noise...the quick, ready switch from peddling tees or purses to umbrellas when the rain starts...the smooth, easy dances with other pedestrians, forever changing unknown partners on Time Square sidewalks...the bold, flashing billboards...probably the only place where billboards hold a secure, grand spot...coming out of the subway late at night and sometimes being the only two people around.

Christmas in NY is where I can feel as if I have walked into Christmas Holiday...serenity, comfort, lots of love and joy all around. Even moving through the airports and waiting, with a slight tension, for my boarding call feels comfortable and at ease. Right up to the day I leave I will be cleaning or working...and then walk into a completely different world.

No comments:

Post a Comment